Thursday, April 12, 2012

Writing is a Marathon Event

 I think I'm getting a handle on it,
balancing my life,
that is. 
It's because all of these generous 
people have opted to share.
Welcome to James Strait!
I’m lucky, in that I can regulate my schedule, as I like. I write continuously through out the day, however, my total creative time is typically no more than two hours of pure story generation. The balance of my “in front of the computer time” is spent marketing existing books, which also requires writing, but not much of the business writing is creative in the story telling sense.
The balance that works for me is that of maintaining my physical regimen along with the creative. It may seem counterintuitive, but for me to adhere to a relatively demanding training schedule for my road and track cycling helps keep my energy and motivation high. I ride anywhere between one hundred fifty and two hundred and fifty miles per week, and interestingly, during many of those miles is where I do some of my best creative thinking. It’s important that I carry a pen and paper with me to jot down notes. No notes, no recollection of the “great” idea that came to me while climbing that merciless hill!
Also, I’m an acute, if not terminal insomniac, and much of the marketing is done during the wee hours in a stupefied state of being. I think many people receive error filled emails from me because of my diminished capacity at 3AM! I’m accustomed to the chronic fatigue and long ago learned to pace myself to be most productive.
I learned that writing is a marathon event that takes place at breakneck speed. The faster I write, the more interesting the content. I never look back during the creative process. I’ll make story adjustments in the form of extensions, extractions, and the wide variety of revision possible after the main story feels complete. To look back is to have the story turn to salt. Looking back during the birth of the story, for me, is the Death Nell of the work.
To summarize, balance intellectual with the physical, and never look back during a breakneck paced creative process.
_______________________________
 
James Strait’s professional career began as a Special Forces soldier, where he demonstrated youthful tenacity and versatility by becoming the youngest recruit to graduate Special Forces Training Group.

After the military he enjoyed a thirty-year career as a professional pilot flying over one hundred different types and categories of airplanes. In parallel, Mr. Strait operated a small business providing a variety of services to civilian companies and the military.

After retirement from professional aviation, Mr. Strait transitioned into broadcast radio where he has hosted “Strait Talks” radio since 2006. He began his professional writing career with the release of “Weird Missouri”, in 2008. His most recent book, “Déjà vu All Over Again” is an action adventure novel taking place in the final 57 hours prior to the calendar turning 12-21-2012.

His future projects involve the release of his third book, “Thomas Jefferson is Missing”. He will also be hosting Book Talk Radio, debuting April 1, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I treasure each and every word, so please leave one or two.