Thursday, May 31, 2012

Balance and the "Real" Life.

Yeah! 
Thursdays.
Sit with a cup of tea and join me
in welcoming,
 A.D. McLain-Young


It can be difficult to find the time to do anything when you are already juggling a family and a full-time job. Every responsibility or hobby you add must take time from something else. Even so, I’ve never had a problem finding time to write. Editing and marketing, maybe, but never writing. I may not put pen to paper ever day, but that doesn’t mean I’m not writing. Driving to work, rocking my son to sleep, cooking dinner, I’m almost always thinking of my characters and books. I may go days thinking through the details of a scene before I actually write anything. When I do write down my ideas, they are often in snippets on notepads, scratch paper, or even napkins. It is only later that I transfer all those notes to a notebook and put them in order, organizing and firmly writing my book.

My husband tells me it’s all about prioritizing. You make time for the things that are important to you. I guess that’s true, but it isn’t really a conscious decision. It is like eating. It is something I have to do, so I do it. I’ll wake up in the middle of the night to jot down ideas or a scene. Writing is what I was born to do. I get inspiration from everything; work, my family, television, books I read. Sometimes it is a movie I love that gives me an idea. I get so caught up with the characters, I think of what happens after the credits roll and the idea shifts into something that works in my stories. Other times it is a movie or book I hated that spurs and idea. I never know where my ideas will come from. I can only be prepared to write them down when they do. Other than that, I am inspired to write and be successful by my family. It is my dream to write full time, so I can stay home with my children. Whenever I have writer's block, or just don't feel like typing another word, I think of my kids and work on something to help my writing career become a reality.

But I know I could not be successful at this without my family firmly behind me. My husband is there to lend an extra hand when I need to type some scenes or work on marketing. He reads through my books to help me edit. For my most recent project, he has actually worked hand in hand with me to help me write the story. We will be releasing "Suriax" sometime this year. I am very blessed to have a husband and to have had parents who always encouraged my writing and never made me feel it was a fool's dream. Family means everything, and it means the world to me that they have gone on this journey with me and continue to be there to support me.

 __________________

Bio:
Having completed her first story at the age of twelve, Amanda knew at an early age that writing was her passion. She attended South Jones High School in Ellisville, MS and graduated from the University of New Orleans in 2003 with a degree in English. She currently resides in Louisiana, where she is married to her soul mate, Raymond. They married in a magical, Renaissance themed wedding ceremony in 2006 and had their first child in May 2008. She has recently published her book, "Suriax," through Smashwords. Find it here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/164307

Where you can find A.D. McLain-Young:

www.wotpast.com
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wotpast
 blog: http://wotpast.wordpress.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/wotpast
goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6655305-a-d-mclain-young
Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/wotpast
Email: wotpast@yahoo.com

Books:

I published "Wolf of the Past" in 2006 and "Wolf of the Present" in 2010. I write my paranormal romances as A.D. McLain. I am working to publish a fantasy novel, "Suriax." It is a joint project with my husband. For my fantasy books, I will write as Amanda Young.

"Wolf of the Present" is the second book in my Spirit of the Wolf werewolf romance series. It follows my two main characters, Mark and Meg.
Meg is a girl with a troubled past. In and out of foster homes, and the survivor of tragedy as a child, she has just entered college. She meets Mark, who wants to heal the pain he sees in Meg’s eyes. However, Mark also has some painful secrets in his past. Tormented by an unseen foe, Mark begins to lose his grip on reality. With Meg threatened by someone from her past, a friend in danger and a serial killer on the loose, their timing couldn’t be worse.

Meg and Mark must face their inner demons to see if their feelings for each other are strong enough to overcome their fears. This powerful paranormal romance will thrill fans of the genre.

You can read an excerpt here: http://www.wotpast.com/wotpresentexcerpt.htm


"Wolf of the Past" book 1 of my Spirit of the Wolf series
David was a boy without a family, stealing to survive, when one night he met a man named Richard. His life changed forever. Nicole was a simple college student, dealing with the recent deaths of her adoptive parents by trying to expose pollution problems in a local company. Grief soon becomes the least of her worries when the company finds out about her investigation and tries to end her meddling. But Nicole has the help of two unlikely allies, a strange black wolf and an even stranger man named David. But should she trust this stranger who seems to know so much about her and stirs up feelings she has never had before, even as her entire world gets turned upside down by one mystery after another? More importantly, can David really help her to finally understand the nightmares that have plagued her throughout her life?

"Suriax" is now released. Find her fantasy novel at Smashwords.com.
If it was legal to kill, would you?

Suriax and Aleria were sister cities, separated by the Therion River. Both were founded on a strict observance of the law, but they could not have been more different. For King Veritan founded Suriax on the teachings of Venerith, the Corruptor, a god of laws devoid of morality. In Suriax there is no "right" or "wrong." There is only "legal" or "illegal."

Kern was an assassin for the Flame Guard, mercenaries dedicated to Venerith. He never questioned his life until the day he learned the truth about his past.
Pursued by a queen willing to do anything to keep her throne, Kern must face an uncertain future and a bargain that will change the people of Suriax forever.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I treasure each and every word, so please leave one or two.