Thursday, August 23, 2012

Everything Does Not Have To Be Perfect.

Yeah!
It's Thursday!

Introducing Mary Firmin

My darling husband, Bill, bought me the publishing package for Deadly Pleasures as a Christmas present in 2010.  He went crazy and ordered all kinds of services, and he loved doing it.  What he, or I, did not know is that he would pass away in his sleep six months later. The editing, choosing a cover, and all the things that go into a new book actually saved me from spiraling down into a deep depression.  I had to keep moving.  I had to do the work whether I felt like it or not. Now, the book is out and doing quite well. I have done TV interviews, radio interviews, newspaper and blog interviews. My only wish is that he could be here to be a part of all this.

     My plan is to write a Trilogy of Deadly books, using some of the same characters.  Right now I am trying very hard to get back to my second book, Deadly Secrets which is about half finished. The synopsis is complete, and I am ready to continue writing, but with all the promotion and interviews on Deadly Pleasures, it is hard to find the time. I have to again revert back to the Harold Robbins theory, which is “Put some Ass Glue on your chair and do not get up until you have written 5-10 pages.”  When I do this, I produce.  

     Early on, in my writing, I had to drag myself away from the computer because I had so much to say. I researched Voodoun Fire, my first writing attempt, to death. I spent every waking hour obsessed with writing. In order to keep my marriage and family intact, I had to come up with a better system.  Since I am a night person, I chose to work at night. I promised myself to get up and go to bed after three hours, and sometimes I did.  Since most of writing is re-writing I am fortunate that I like to re-write. Getting that new idea out onto a blank page is very hard for me, it is like giving birth. It was only when I convinced myself that everything did not have to be perfect the first time I wrote it down that I eased up on myself. I don’t know if I expected Ernest Hemingway to imbue my spirit and guide me down the path of the perfect sentence, but it definitely did not happen.  

     I have consciously chosen to make my writing as invisible as possible so that my readers may glide over the words and see only the picture I am trying to paint, or feel the feeling I am trying to evoke. If I can do that I think I will be a good writer. I love to read the writings of the great Masters but I know I will never be a writer like those people. First of all the cadence and manner of speech was different from the way ours is today. I mean, how well would those guys do on Twitter? I rest my case. 

     I hope I have reassured at least one person out there that you do not have to be perfect in your writing, but you must START. After you have written your words down on paper it will all come together like a giant jigsaw puzzle with words instead of pieces. I wish you all the best of luck with your writing –but above all have fun.  
___________________________
 
 Mary Firmin was born in the North of England, emigrated to Canada, then traveled to Florida where she owned and operated an Arthur Murray Dance Studio. She moved on to Santa Monica, California where she worked in Real Estate Sales and eventually became Vice President of a large firm on the West Side. She began her writing career by attending many classes at local colleges, including UCLA, and then moved on to private writer's groups. As active members of a Southern California Yacht Club, Mary and her husband traveled up and down the California Coastline for years, and spent many days on Catalina Island. Upon moving to the Desert, Mary wrote a society column for a Palm Springs newspaper.
 It is from these experiences she forged her characters and the story of Deadly Pleasures. This book is a fun, casual read with a little romance, some deviant sex, and a sick serial killer. It is sure to keep your attention to the very end. Mary's loving husband, Bill, passed away this year. She has three children, one gorgeous grandchild and lives in Rancho Mirage, California. Mary is now working on her second book in this series, Deadly Secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I treasure each and every word, so please leave one or two.