Saturday, April 17, 2010

Chichen Itzu

I promise I won't bore you with a whole lot of "photos of my vacation." Instead I will bore you with a few significant and great photos. 

Day 1 of play time. We shopped. 

Then walked around and took photos of some hugely terrific blocks of stone. 

And some photos of the "chip off the old block."


More shopping. I am only a woman.


Followed by lunch and entertainment. Yes, this woman is dancing with a bottle on her head. Yeah, I didn't get it either. 


And finally a dunk in a cenote.

The cenote I must talk about a bit more. All day they had told us we'd be stopping here and to have bathing suits on and be ready to go. Suit was on. I was ready. Then we learned that the cenote was a large hole with water, an underground river, it seems. (I'm still okay.) And that it was 159 feet deep. (I can swim.) And 91 steps down. (Well, I guess I should have brought my flip flops, but okay . . .) At step number 60-something, I ask number one son. "Did they say what the water temperature was of the cenote?" He mumbles, "no." BIG PROBLEM! I'm from Arizona, pool water needs to be oh, around 90 degrees or better. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time in hot tubs and not too much time in pools. But hey, we're on vacation right? You may never get this chance again. What you see in the photo is the swimming platform. Over to the left, out of the shot is the ten foot jumping platform that my son insists I climb and jump from with him. Never one to back down from a dare, I follow him up. The very nice attendant counts for us. One! Two! at Three my feet leave the platform as I turn to see my son watching me fly through the air. I lose my breath when my big toe hits the water, but thankfully not my contacts, which I hadn't thought about. I manage to regain the surface and gasp. My son has finally jumped in and is also gasping for air and chattering on about how *@!@#$% cold the water is. HELLO, I KNOW! 
But all is well, they give us free tequila on the bus to warm us up. 

5 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that story about the 'cenote' is FUNNY!!!! OMYGOSH!!! I would die...I would not handle cold water either!!! Lol!! I think those guys...ugh, I think they call them 'polar bears' or something like that, that jump into the water in the winter are insane!! LOL!! U are a brave brave woman!! But at least U can say U did it!! LOL!!!! Loveeeeeeeeeee the photos....and I'm not getting the bottle on the head either! LOL! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing so hard I can barely write this...I loved the post about Chichen Itzu and the cenote! We didn't make the trip there when we went to Cancun, sure wish we had went there instead. We lived in South Texas for several years and I was a "newbie" to floating. Our first float trip down the icy cold Guadalupe River was the shock of my life! It was 100+ degrees on the outside so you would have thought that it would have felt good, I thought my heart was gonna stop! Thanks so much for adding GrannyMountain to your reading list of blogs. I don't have many comment ever so thanks so much for taking the time to post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahahahahahaha, Priceless!!! 1st thing..NEVER trust your son to jump WITH YOU!! 2nd thing...NEVER from 10 feet up!!!
    Yea, I don't get the bottle thing either....but whatever.
    Enjoy, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI!!!!
    OH MY HOW AWESOME and GOOD for you for climbing the steps and then for jumping!!!!I am with you on the cold water deal, i like it bath tub warm!!!!Hahaha
    what a Great place!!!!!
    I still need to go there!!!!!
    Hugs,
    jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your number one son, doesn't count he's your only son. That looks like fun, way to live it up la vida loca style

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I treasure each and every word, so please leave one or two.